NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES
Prestonwood Pregnancy Center (PPC) is committed to protecting your personal health information. Personal health information that we maintain about you includes: your name, address, telephone number, date the medical staff reviewed your chart with you, clinical findings/medical notes related to the condition that brings you to PPC, laboratory or diagnostic test results related to the condition. Federal law (HIPAA) and Texas Law (Privacy and Security Regulations) requires that we provide you this Notice of Privacy Rights. It lets you know how we may use and disclose your health information and your rights regarding the health information we have in our possession. **Please note that we do not refer for nor perform abortions.
YOUR RIGHTS REGARDING YOUR HEALTH INFORMATION
- Request a restriction on certain uses and disclosures of your health information; however, we are not required to approve your request.
- Request that we notify you about your health information in a way or at a location that will help you keep your information confidential.
- Receive a list of disclosures we have made of your health information.
- In writing at any time, withdraw your permission for us to disclose your health information, except for the information that we disclose before you stopped your permission.
- Review and obtain a copy of your own health information.
- Ask us to amend your health information if you believe it is incorrect or incomplete. We may deny your request and if so, will give you the reason(s) why the request was denied.
- Receive a paper copy of this Notice of Privacy Practices upon request.
HOW WE USE AND DISCLOSE YOUR HEALTH INFORMATION
We only use or disclose your health information as state and federal laws require or permit. In some cases, the law requires that you authorize the disclosure. In other cases, the law allows us to disclose your health information without your authorization.
USE AND DISCLOSURE NOT REQUIRING YOUR AUTHORIZATION
TREATMENT: We may use and disclose your health information to a physician or healthcare provider providing treatment to you.
HEALTHCARE OPERATIONS: We may use and disclose your health information to allow us to improve the quality of care PPC provides and to reduce health care costs, which may include training programs for our staff.
BUSINESS ASSOCIATES: We may disclose your health information to organizations that help us with our work. We have a written agreement that requires these organizations to use your health information for only reasons necessary to do the work, and protect it from other uses or disclosures, just like we do.
TO CONTACT YOU: We may use the information in your health records to contact you if we have information about treatment or other health-related benefits and services that may be of interest to you.
OTHER PERMITTED USES AND DISCLOSURES
HIPAA specifically permits us to use or disclose your health information for other purposes without your consent or authorization. Federal and state laws specifically permit us to use or disclose your health information for other purposes without your consent or authorization. In our experience such disclosures are minimal, and the limited information we maintain is generally not applicable. However, when authorized by law and to the extent we may have the information, Federal and state laws permit us to disclose it to:
- Comply with the requirements of federal, state, or local laws, court orders or other lawful process and for administrative or court proceedings.
- Report information to public health authority for the purpose of preventing or controlling disease, injury, or disability.
- Report to the FDA for the quality, safety or effectiveness of FDA-regulated products or activities.
- A law enforcement official for specified law enforcement purposes.
- Report abuse, neglect, physical/sexual abuse of a minor including statutory rape or domestic violence to a government authority.
- Provide necessary information to a health oversight agency for activities such as audits, investigations, inspections, licensure of the healthcare system, government benefit programs and regulated entities.
- Coroners or medical examiners for identification or determining cause of death.
- Funeral directors to carry out their duties with respect to the decedent.
- Organ procurement organizations for facilitating donation and transplantation.
- Researches conducting studies approved by an Institutional Review Board.
- Prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the health or safety of a person or the public.
- Notify a person who may have been exposed to a communicable disease or may otherwise be at risk of contracting or spreading a disease or condition.
- Authorized federal officials for specialized government functions such as military and veterans activities; medical suitability determinations; correctional institutions; government entities providing public benefits and to comply with workers’ compensation laws.
USES AND DISCLOSURES WITH YOUR AUTHORIZATION
Other uses and disclosures of your personal information require your written authorization. You may revoke your authorization at any time by doing so in writing.
RESERVATION OF RIGHT TO CHANGE PRIVACY PRACTICES
Prestonwood Pregnancy Center reserves the right to modify the privacy practices outlined in the notice. The updated privacy practices will be posted in the reception area.
HOW YOU CAN REACH US
You and your family should feel you can always voice your concerns. If you want additional information about our privacy practices or if you believe Prestonwood Pregnancy Center has violated your privacy rights, you may file a complaint by contacting our HIPAA Privacy Officer at 690 W. Campbell Road, Suite 150, Richardson, TX 75080 or call 972-428-4700. If you have concerns that are not resolved, please contact the Executive Director at 972-428-4700.
Prestonwood Pregnancy Center does not retaliate against people who file a complaint.
Should you continue to remain concerned after contacting the Executive Director, you may contact the Texas State Department of Health and Human Services.